How to Select a Trademark
A trademark is a type of intellectual property, and typically a name, word, phrase, image, symbol, design, logo or a combination of these elements, which distinguish services or goods of one person or venture from those of another. A trademark is a distinctive sign or indicator used by an individual, business organization, or other legal entity to recognize that the services or products to consumers with which the trademark appears originate from a unique foundation, and to distinguish its products or services from folks of other entities.
There are following points of trademark selection:
- If it is a word it should be easy to speak, spell and keep in mind.
- The best trademarks are made-up words or coined words.
- Please avoid assortment of a geographical name. No one can have domination right on it.
- Avoid adopting admiring word or words that portray the quality of goods.
- It is advisable to conduct a market review and a search at Trademark office to ascertain if same/comparable mark is used in market.